Friday, September 18, 2009

Stanford College Application: Draft, topic- describe a significant person in your life and explain why they are so important

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts." ~Washington Irving



In my eyes, Washington Irving nailed the mother quote right on the spot. My mother is kind, sweet, dependent, strong, charming, wise, compassionate, dedicated, witty, and above all she has that gentle touch only a mother could have. When we went through hard times with money and with her recent divorce, she kept it together for me and my sister and showed us how strong she could be. She showed me all these qualities when I was young, only then did I truly understand what it means to love someone.

My mother didn't need a man to help protect us. She never did, my parents got divorced when I was only a baby. It wasn't really a big custody battle. My dad got the house and the dog and my mom fought for us. At a young age of 30, my mom was a single parent taking care of two young babies all on her own. No matter what the problem was, she was always there for everyone.

It was a cold night, sometime in December, when me and my twin sister were out with my mom to do a little shopping. We had stayed out pretty late, and by the time we went back to the car there was only about a small handful of cars left in the parking lot. My sister and I were both pretty tickled that we each got a new toy that we didn't see an huge ominous figure looming over us. " Give me your all your money" the figure immediately demanded. My sister let out a small cry. "Shut her up" said the cloaked shadow in a deep throaty voice, he was getting irritated. Being my ever so strong and protective mother she stepped in between us and the robber. "You will not talk that way to her" she said calmly.

Suddenly his hand went to his hip and he pulled out a 686 SSR Revolver. He was really working himself into a rage. After a string of swear words he shot one bullet into the air. "Give me your money or I'll shoot" he said while aiming the revolver at my mother. Looking directly into the robber's eyes my mother challenged him to a stare down and spoke only two words. "Do it." That was all she said. I could see the robber's thought process run across his face as he thought better of shooting my mother. He faltered only once but that was enough time for the police to get down to the scene. Caught holding a pointed gun at two young children and a middle aged woman in front of them, he was arrested.

My mother was so brave that fateful day. She stood between possible death for me and my sister, not even caring what happened to her. She showed that her love could go beyond limits that I thought possible. I find myself thinking about that awful day sometimes, wondering what would have happened to us if it wasn't for my mom. Heck, she challenged a man with a gun and walked out alive and triumphant. I admire her for her strength and courage, and I love her for every little thing she does. My mom proved that her love was unconditional for my sister and I that day, I only hope that when I grow up I can fill these big shoes that she wears. My mother is my hero.

1 comment:

  1. Your mother is so cool, the ideal stong fearless mother who can do anything. I can see why you idolize her. I can't really think about what else to tell you other than add a bit more description when you're describing the scenes. There's more than one wa to say, "Suddenly his hand went to his hip...." and if you add a bit more description you can add more feeling, and mae it seem more intense. I mean, thats what you're going for right?
    You paper was meaningful and sweet, i actually smiled when i read it. It made me think about my mother.
    Thanks,
    -Arleen

    ReplyDelete