Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My writing experiences throughout the year

Ok wow the past years have been so much fun. I learned alot in just one year of language arts. My writing experiences include writing essays for english and reports for ecybermission for science. Before freshmen year started I knew little about writing major essays (ex. 2-3 pages long) but as the year progressed I found that I actually enjoyed writing. I also learned that there are six traits to writing a good essay. (word choice, sentence fluency, voice, etc.) I felt confident that I understood how to write a good organized essay. So for my final exam for freshman year I decided to write a fictional story about the themes empathy and interdependance. To my suprise I actually got a good grade. Since I've been through the meneMAC course last year, I've learned a lot about what it takes towrite a good essay, and helpful peer evaluation has made my writing stronger, and more interesting. I've learned how to "show" my story NOT "tell" it with the words that I create....

Now that I am a sophmore, I intend to "up" my writing skills and take it to the next level. I want people to read my essays and see the story that I have depicted for them. So that they can feel the way I did at the time, or see the story that I am trying create with imagery. When people read my essay I want them to remember who wrote it so that the next time I write another essay they know right off the bat that I wrote that essay, and that they are in for a great story.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kiana,

    Great job describing your past experiences in writing! I liked the specific references to assignments you did during freshman year. As far as your goals for the coming year, it sounds as if you are targeting word choice and voice, because those are the ones that will “up” your imagery and make people “remember who wrote it” after they’ve read one of your pieces 

    Now for the pre-assessment pro/con piece: nice job! You presented both sides of the argument and went beyond just iPods, into the issue of all of the various tech tools and how they fit with student learning. Nice job, too, of allowing your voice t come through…looks like you’re well on your way to achieving your writing goals 

    mrs s

    ReplyDelete